Good to Know Before You Go
- Get the inside scoop on trail conditions and avalanche reports. Check with the local snowmobile club before you head out
- Phoenix Mountain is open from mid-December to the end of March. Check their website for hours. There are no accommodations at Phoenix Mountain
- Mt. Baldy is open 7 days a week in the winter, starting December 1. Accommodation at Mt. Baldy is for rent by owner
- Big White has hotel rooms, chalets, and large pet friendly lodges
- Marshall Lake Nordic Trails and the warming Dacha are both dog-friendly
- Fresh-water fishing regulations in BC require you have a fishing license (even in winter)
- Many of the most beautiful trails run through sensitive eco systems – please stay on marked trails to avoid damaging the environment and pack out what you pack in
Winter Fun and Outdoor Adventure Awaits
Come visit when our lakes freeze over and our mountains, and parts of the valley, are covered in snow. You’ll want to stay outside as much as possible so make sure you pack accordingly. Grab those skis, snowshoes, toboggans, skates, and winter outerwear. Check with your hosts or the local Visitor Centre to find out where the best skiing, snowshoeing, tobogganing, skating and snowmobiling places are!
Make sure you have good snow tires on your vehicle when you visit in the winter. Lower elevations are usually quite slushy while lots of great snow at higher elevations means you need good snow tires.
Playing in our winter land is so much fun, you may forget how easy it is to lose your way. Anytime you head up on the slopes or go into the back country, bring along your Personal Locator Beacons and/or Avalanche Beacons. Always enquire about the thickness of lake ice before venturing out. Check with the locals or at the Visitor Centre.
Fishing – 365
Fishing is a year round outdoor activity here. You do require a fishing licence to fish in any season. Pack your ice auger and get ready for some fantastic ice fishing on our lakes. There are several hidden spots where you can set up your fishing tent. Some favourites include Jewel, Williams, Wilgress and Xenia Lakes. Never tried ice fishing? Come out to our annual ice fishing derby held on February’s Family Day weekend at Wilgress Lake.