Top Artistic Experiences
- Meander through Grand Forks’ heritage, one black and white photo at a time. Visit the Grand Forks Art Gallery in the old historic courthouse
- Wander the Kettle River Arts Festival each July and August. Discover new artists and their inspired works
- Check out the local talent every Thursday night at open mic night at Lisa’s Lakeside Bistro at Christina Lake
- Pop in for a coffee and browse the art gallery at Deadwood Junction in Greenwood
- Channel your inner Picasso. Enrol in an art class at the Christina Lake Living Arts Centre
- Explore contemporary art of almost every media at Gallery 2. It’s on the upper level of the Grand Forks’ Arts & Heritage Centre
- Take a break from the lake and feed your soul at the Christina Lake Living Arts Centre
- Take in the performing arts at events and venues throughout Boundary Country. Some of our favourites are the Gem Theatre in Grand Forks and Christina Lake’s Living Arts Centre
- Enjoy the larger than life murals as you take a walk through Grand Forks
Good to Know Before You Go
- A calendar of arts festivals is on our Events page
- Many artisan studios are open only by chance or advance appointment
Get Inspired by Our Arts Scene
Step into Boundary Country and into our inviting landscapes. The Kettle River lazily swirls from one end to the other. The Monashee and Columbia mountain ranges creep upward toward bright, blue skies. Thickly forested valleys of Ponderosa pine merge into wide-open ranges. Then they slowly morph into lush farmland. Bighorn sheep, elk, eagles and hawks animate postcard-worthy vistas. These are the visuals that lured artists and artisans here over the decades. They’ve inspired works of art in almost every media imaginable. Now it’s your turn. Get inspired at a range of events, galleries and studios throughout the region.
Take a Walking Tour of our Murals
Get out and explore Grand Forks and the new murals you’ll find throughout the town. From angel wings to chess boards to outdoor adventure themes, you’ll love what you see. Get in the picture and snap some Instagram worthy shots.
Enter the world of an artist and watch masters work their craft. Discuss what inspires them and you. Watch as weavers transform wool into cozy and warm creations. Put in a custom order for handcrafted furniture. Marvel as a master carver works a cedar stump, revealing an eagle about to take flight. Follow the artisan studio signs dotting our roads from one end of Boundary Country to the other. Since you’re here, you might as well come in and meet our local artists as they work at their craft.
Find your favourite new piece of art at studios and in shops where you can purchase original art and fine crafts.
Gallery 2 — Grand Forks
Step inside the Grand Forks’ Gallery 2. This is the centrepiece of the Grand Forks art scene. Stroll the first floor of the historic, red-brick courthouse, dating back to 1911. Take a walk through Grand Forks’ history along its light and airy gallery walls. Archival photography chronicles Grand Forks’ growth from a sleepy agricultural town to the thriving city it is today.
Continuous exhibitions of BC artists run in three gallery spaces throughout the year. Traditional and contemporary works tell a visual story of the landscapes and waterscapes of Boundary Country. Browse the upper gallery. You can also pop in to the gallery’s gift shop featuring local and regional hand-made crafts and artwork. You may just find a memento of your Boundary vacation.
Christina Lake Living Arts Centre — Christina Lake
Feel the artist’s passion and pride in every work of art you’ll find at the Christina Lake Living Arts Centre. This is the hub of Christina Lake’s artistic community. Take a break from playing in water and feed your soul. Stroll through Arts on 3 Gallery and discover emerging and established artists along the way. Drink in the eye-catching 3-D floor mural. Then stand beneath the Story Pole that chronicles Christina Lake’s story from ancient beginnings to the present.
Visual arts aren’t the only thing on display here. There are also summer concert series as well as workshops and classes. That’s plenty of reasons to visit the Centre. Aspiring vocal artists are directed to pop into Lisa’s Bistro on a busy Thursday evening. Music is on the menu at the open mic night.
Deadwood Junction — Greenwood
As you drive through the city of Greenwood, stop at Deadwood Junction. This roadside stagecoach is part roadside grille, part coffee shop and part art gallery. Most of all, it’s 100% inspiring. An eclectic array of handcrafted works is prominently displayed throughout the gallery. You’ll find exquisite photography of Boundary Country, and handcrafted jewellery. Peruse the original paintings created in acrylic, oil or watercolour. Pop by in the summer months and take in a live demonstration of wood and antler carving. Then linger over your coffee as you listen to live music on the patio.
Grand Forks is the hub of performing arts in Boundary Country. There’s live theatre performances by the River’s Edge Theatre Society. In addition, there are concerts presented by local and touring acts. At Christmas, listen to the magical acoustics of Grand Forks Art & Heritage Centre when the choral society performs. Enjoy side-splitting comedy by the River’s Edge Theatre Company at Grand Forks’ Gem Theatre. Explore beyond Grand Forks’ boundaries. Take in a thriving performing arts scene in Greenwood during Deadwood Junction’s summer concert series.